Thursday, January 6, 2011

The holidays are over

Today is "Three Kings Day" - not observed so much here in the US, but a very big day in Latin America. At our Disciples Net worship last night, we focused heavily on the meaning of the visit of the Magi to the newborn king - a reminder that from the very beginning, the gift of Christ was for the whole world. This is much in my mind at the moment.  Our daughter has just left to return to her home, and it seems that the holiday season is over.

As the hustle and bustle passes, my thoughts and efforts are turning to our trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo.  There are meetings to schedule, books to be read, visas need to be obtained, and a myriad of details that have been put on hold to focus on the celebration of God's greatest gift.  We are still trying to find a few more people to join us on the journey - it's important for several reasons.  We want to have a good delegation to meet with our partners, and it does help defray the steep expense of travel to a part of the world ill-served by the services most tourists seem to require.  Time is running out, too - it's hard to convince people that it really does take several months to work out the details to get to DR Congo - we are so used to deciding at the last minute to fly wherever.

In the midst of the logistics, I try to constantly keep the images of my friends in DR Congo in my mind.  They are so important to me.  They have taught me so much.  They are such incredible people.  When I feel a bit overwhelmed, I remember the challenges they face every day.  All of this effort is, in the end, only made in order to preserve and strengthen the wonderful bond we have shared.

Slow me down, Lord, and keep my thoughts focused on your will for this pilgrimage.  There is a reason we have decided to call it a pilgrimage - it is truly a journey to a sacred place.

No comments:

Post a Comment