Saturday, June 25, 2011

To Touch the Congo Sky

Today's blog is a poem (perhaps someday to be a song?) written by Rev. Vernon J. Stover, who was a pilgrim on the journey to Mbandaka, Congo.  He speaks with a beautiful voice about how deeply we all were touched by our pilgrimage.

TO TOUCH THE CONGO SKY

To touch the Congo sky,
To breathe its reddened past,
    

To see what it will be 
        In ev'ry child I've passed,
To hear its odes to joy
  Phrased by the river's word, 
    






To savor fruit and fish
        As presence of our Lord
Does make my heart brim full
With cane juice dripping sweet,



Does make my soul sing out
In song of pulsing beat,



Does make my mind unwrap
The gift of dancing friends,
Does make my arms embrace
The changeless God-filled winds.






Your will, O LORD, calls forth
All those who will but try
To fill the world with love
Or touch the Congo sky. 



THANKS, VJ!  AND THANKS, GREAT PILGRIMS!

No comments:

Post a Comment