Friday, May 20, 2011

"The Things We Carried"

Another appropriate chapter title from the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.  It's time to pack, and we have the usual problem - there is too much BAGGAGE!

In this case, it's actually a good problem, because we have a variety of gifts that we will be carrying to our partners, and the challenge is to fit it into luggage and meet the airline requirements.  Clothing is much easier, because we are going to a warm climate.  Weight is a bit of a special challenge on the flight to Mbandaka, because we are traveling on a small plane, but we will do all in our power to include the gifts and leave behind some of our "things" if necessary.

I have decided to take along my dulcimer to share with the students at the girls' school, and others as the occasion arises. This is an American instrument, created by early settlers in the late 1700's or early 1800's in the Appalachian area, close to the area where the Disciples of Christ began.  Rev. Ilumbe shared his songs and played guitar when he was here in 2009, and he was taken with the dulcimer because it was new to him.  I may include a native American flute, also.  These both fit in with the Congolese idea of making music from whatever is at hand.

The problem is that I can't really play well without music, so now I am having to choose my songs.  What shall I take?  I don't have room for more than a small notebook.  Some hymns, of course; definitely "What a Friend We Have in Jesus", shared by both Congolese and Indiana Disciples.  Some of the old favorites that have long been played on the dulcimer.  Some Celtic music that comes from my own roots.  Perhaps some African-American spirituals, returning to their roots.  The piece I'm working on for the lesson when I return, and the multiple pieces for the concert at Eagle Creek June  11.  Oh, yes - not to forget "The River and the Tree" - my own song inspired by my last sojourn in Congo.  I want to play that one on the porch as I look out at the Congo River.  And lastly, "Anywhere, Anywhen" - a song inspired by DisciplesNet Church that reminds us that our worship is not bound by time or geography.    And so it will be on this journey, we will be together in spirit with sisters and brothers everywhere and in every time zone.

Of course this is the most important part of the packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment