Saturday, May 21, 2011

"The Things We Learned"

Several of the titles of the "books" within the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (a great novel about the Democratic Republic of Congo during the time of independence and the following years) seem so appropriate for my Congo experiences.  Much of what we have received in Indiana involves learning new ways to look at the gospel, at everyday life, and our relationships with each other.

For me, I would count these as the most important things I have learned, and I intend to write about them in the next few blogs:

     Hospitality
     The Meaning of Gifts
     Joy
     Stepping Out in Faith (for this one, see a February post, "How Do They Do It?"

Diane Spleth described her Congo experience this way:  "I knew that I was coming to be changed, but I think that I have been converted anew".  It is one of my hopes for this trip that in some small way, all Indiana Disciples may share a piece of this experience.

To that end, I give you a new verse to a favorite hymn of Disciples in both DR Congo and the US, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".  Perhaps you'd like to sing it during Congo Partnership Week, May 22-29 (Congo Partnership Week - Indiana).


WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN CONGO

What a friend we have in Congo,
Far across the ocean wide!
What a joy to share our Savior
As our caring, loving guide.

What a faith we have in common,
What a heritage we share!
We will walk together onward,
And our joys and sorrows share.

No comments:

Post a Comment